Thursday, November 3, 2011

My friend David once asked me, "What color is the sky in your world?"

Unless you've ever lived with me, gone on a long road trip with me or seen me sing karaoke or Proud Mary at a friend's wedding or work function (so sorry to all of you whose special days I may have ruined), then you might not REALLY know me. But for those of you who have, then you are laughing at David's question because you know why he asked me that. It's because I'm weird, y'all. I do all sorts of weird voices, dances, impressions. At any given moment, I might break out into song. My close college friends have heard me make up some crazy ones, and those who used to go on youth choir tours with me are probably still haunted by my many self-created characters. (And let's not even talk about the permanent damage I'm probably doing to my own children.) I like to have fun. I like to laugh, and I like to make other people laugh. I am immature. I am goofy. I can be a bit polarizing to some. I can be alot to digest. But I will be real with you.

A few weeks ago, I discovered green tea in our kitchen at work. Now, I've read about the benefits of drinking green tea:

helps fight cancer and heart disease
helps lower cholesterol
burns fat (YEA!)
prevents diabetes and stroke
staves off dementia
great antioxidant (so are red wine and dark chocolate...MUCH more fun.)

I figured that I would give it a shot. I've tried it in the past and really hated it, but this was actually the beginning of my "health" experiment. So, I forced myself to drink it. It wasn't all that bad. This particular brand had a great smell and flavor, and hey...with enough sugar, you can make anything taste better. :) The next day, I went back for another cup and forced myself to drink it again. The same with the next day and the next until, low and behold, I actually started to like the stuff. I actually looked forward to my warm cup of antioxidant goodness each afternoon.

Then I moved on to a NEW experiment. What if I replaced my morning diet coke with green tea? GASP! I usually have a small cup of diet coke at home when I'm getting ready in the mornings and then have another can of it when I get to work. THAT would be the one I would replace. I mean...lets' not get crazy, people. I can't give up caffeine altogether. So, I did. Once again, after a few days, I actually looked forward to getting to work to make my hot cup of tea! (And I was even able to lessen the sugar.)

This is my point...in these early days, I'm trying to force myself to do little healthy things to see if after a few weeks, they become habits. And if weight loss or dropping a dress size is a by-product of all of that, then that would be great! But it's not the goal. I once heard someone say that a slightly overweight person who works out and eats well can be healthier than a thin person who is blessed with a high metabolism who never exercises and eats horribly. (And yes...the rest of us hate you, Naturally Skinny Person.) So, there you have it. After three blog posts, I think I finally figured it all out. WHEW! Wow...I'm like that chick who you just can't break up with because she needs to keep talking about it and wanting to know "WHY??" I'll shut up now.


No comments:

Post a Comment